It was March 29, 1898, in the old Public School Building on Main Street, that a meeting was called to order by David Outcalt. The purpose of this meeting was to organize a fire company to protect Spotswood, which, at that time was part of East Brunswick. The Borough of Spotswood was not incorporated until 1908. The Enterprise Hook & Ladder Company of Spotswood was incorporated on May 10, 1898 in order to protect life and property from fire. At that time thirty two men were elected as members. By August of that same year the membership had increased to sixty eight men.