On November 14, 1938, thirteen wives of the firefighters met with two representatives of
another joined together as the charter members of the Spotswood Fire Department’s Ladies
At a special meeting in September of 1943, it was decided to discontinue meetings for the
duration of World War II. The Auxiliary was reconstituted in February of 1949 and has
continued to serve to today.
The planning and construction of a new
firehouse began, and it was a sad day for
many firefighters when the old firehouse,
home to the department for fifty years, was
torn down in 1958.
Department, Fire Prevention conducts inspections of schools, places of assembly,
commercial and industrial buildings, and multi-family houses on a yearly basis.
As Spotswood’s industrial and residential sectors grew, the need for additional apparatus in
the department was needed. In 1964, a 750 gallon per minute Hahn pumper was purchased.
In 1967, an International Brush Truck replaced the 1928 Ford Model “A”. In 1971, an
additional firehouse was constructed at the current location of the Borough Yard/Recycling
Center. While it has been used on and off based on manpower over the years, today
Spotswood Fire Station #2, or commonly referred to as House 2, has an engine and ample
In 1973, during the 75th Anniversary of the
department, Engine 74, a 1,250 gallon per
minute Hahn was purchased to replace the
1936 Diamond “T” (which had been life). A
new chief’s car was also purchased
refurbished to allow for such a long service
during this year.
In 1981, the 1954 Ward LaFrance was placed
on reserve status when the Department
acquired Engine 79, a 1,250 gallon per minute
Hahn diesel powered pumper. Engine 79 was
retired in late 2009.
During 1954, a Ward LaFrance Pumper,
capable of pumping 750 gallons per minute,
was not enough room in the firehouse.
In 1980 and 1981 renovations took place in the rear of the firehouse. Formerly a basketball
members on a volunteer basis.
Shortly thereafter, a pocket pager alerting system was installed to replace the antiquated
home alarm system that had been in service since 1968. These pagers are much more
effective in alerting firefighters to an emergency since they are portable.
The Department acquired Brush 73, a Ford F-350, in 1988, replacing the International Brush
Truck. This unit is also still in service today, acting as both a brush truck and a command
vehicle during snow storms.
In 1991, Engine 72, a 1,250 gallon per minute Pierce Lance pumper, was purchased to
replace the 1964 Hahn. This engine is still the workhorse of the fleet despite it being the
third due engine today.
|In May of 1998, the Spotswood Volunteer Fire
Department celebrated its 100th Anniversary, what is
recalled by many as the wettest day ever. Though despite
the extraordinarily heavy rain, the Department had the
longest parade in Borough history and threw one heck of
a party afterwards.
In July of 2001, the Department acquired the new Engine
74, a 1,500 gallon per minute Pierce Quantum pumper,
the first enclosed cab in department history.
In 2009, the Department changed all of its unit's number to identify them by their Middlesex
County station number, Station 71. Engine 72 was renumbered 71-2, 74 became 71-4, and
the Brush Truck and Utility Trucks became Brush 71 and Utility 71. The longtime position of
Assistant Chief was changed to Deputy Chief.
In August of 2009, the Department added its second Pierce Quantum Pumper, Engine 71-1
to replace Engine 71-9, similar in many regards to Engine 71-4, the enclosed cab makes
Engine 71-2 the only open cabbed engine left in service.
The Department is constantly adapting to deal with today’s challenges of firefighting, vehicle
extrication, and domestic preparedness. Almost a completely different entity of that founded
115 years ago, but the goal remains the same to best serve the people of Spotswood by
protecting life and property.